Maildir permissions issue with Postfix

Randall R. Sargent rrsargent at pilotcat.com
Wed Mar 27 18:03:56 EET 2019

Hi all,

We have a Postfix server that serves as an alias MTA to route to other mail systems. I've recently installed Dovecot on it because we have three service accounts that need simple POP3 mailboxes. I have the accounts set up on the system and mail does get delivered to their ~/Maildir/ locations by Postfix, however, every time a message is dropped in the Maildir for the user, the permissions for the message are set to the user's uid:gid and Dovecot can't access the mail message. Doing a chmod fixes it temporarily until the next message drops.  The vmail group has access to the user's home folder structure.

Any help is appreciated!!

Dovecot: 2.2.36

/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:

auth_debug = yes