Push Notification clarification (MessageNew w/o LMTP or LDA)

Christian Balzer chibi at gol.com
Thu May 9 09:35:39 EEST 2019

Hello,

On Thu, 9 May 2019 09:14:13 +0300 Aki Tuomi via dovecot wrote:

> On 9.5.2019 9.01, Christian Balzer via dovecot wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Both the examples on the Push Notification wiki page and the XAPS plugin
> > docs seem to suggest or state that LMTP/LDA is required.
>
> It is required.

Thanks for the quick, but unwelcome reply.

There's a number of things that would simply break (in the sense of not
working as people expect) if we were to change to LMTP.
Not sure if that's worth it to make IOS users happy who willingly bought
into a restrictive environment.

> > However IMAP IDLE notifications work without either of these (please no
> > religious discussion of why Dovecot LMTP is the best thing since sliced
> > bread and that everybody should use it).
>
> Without any religion, the IMAP IDLE notifications work because they
> notify about different thing. The IDLE notifies about *changes* to
> mailbox (detected or caused), while push notifications work when message
> is actually delivered or saved.
>
> Also push notifications cannot happen if mail is delivered outside
> dovecot, because it won't see them until the client logs in.

Yeah, the same client that would see the IMAP notification anyway if it
hadn't been zombie'd by the (I)OS.

Oh well, thanks again.

Christian

chibi at gol.com   	Rakuten Communications