How to continuously gather statistics?

Roel van Duijnhoven roel at jouwweb.nl
Fri May 17 13:46:34 EEST 2019

Hello,

I recently upgraded to the latest version of Dovecot, and want to use the
newly introduced logging / event system. I want to fetch the statistics
every couple of seconds, and push those to our logging platform. Metrics
such as: number of IMAP commands, average time they took, etc.

However the metrics as reported by Dovecot continously increment. So I see
two solutions:

   - Our solution could keep track of the previous values. But that could
   also break if the statistics are reset for some reason (e.g. threshold
   reached).
   - My second thought was to use "stats -r". That *should* clear the
   statistics directly after fetching them. And thus, give a better picture.
   However I am not sure if this gives me actual useful results.

Or is there maybe a better approach to fetch statistics that I overlooked?

Thanks a lot.

Best,
Roel van Duijnhoven