Unknown error message

Luuk luuk34 at gmail.com
Sun May 26 19:52:16 EEST 2019

On 26-5-2019 13:53, Jerry via dovecot wrote:
> dovecot 2.3.6 (7eab80676)
> FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-p5 amd64
>
> I have recently been finding error messages similar to the following in
> my Dovecot log file:
>
> May 26 06:58:32 imap(gerard at seibercom.net)<87791><WvXT+LyJHBCubeH6>: Error: stat(/var/mail/vmail/seibercom.net/gerard/.dovecot.sieve/tmp) failed: Not a directory
>
> The message is correct as there is no such directory. The question is
> why has it suddenly started appearing? I checked my maillog file, and
> there are no messages being transmitted to Dovecot when that error
> message is created. Neither is there any mail with that ID number either.
>
> Could this be someone attempting to hack into my system?
>
> Thanks!

Google ".dovecot.sieve/tmp) failed not a directory" found a link to this
list

see: https://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2017-May/108183.html

On 2017-05-31 15:09, David Gessel wrote: >/As my logs fill up with
"imap(user at domain.com
/>/stat(/mail/doman.com/user//.dovecot.sieve/tmp) failed: Not a
/>/directory" errors, I followed the advice at
/>/https://wiki2.dovecot.org/VirtualUsers/Home and
/>/https://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2016-June/104403.html and set in
/>//usr/local/etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-mail.conf />//>/# By default LIST
command returns all entries in maildir beginning with />/a dot. />/#
Enabling this option makes Dovecot return only entries which are
/>/directories. />/# This is done by stat()ing each entry, so it causes
more disk I/O. />/# (For systems setting struct dirent->d_type, this
check is free and />/it's />/# done always regardless of this setting)
/>/maildir_stat_dirs = yes />//>/My mailbox format reads "mail_location
= />/maildir:~:CONTROL=/var/no-quota/%u:INDEX=MEMORY" />//>/The error is
factually correct, but there is not .dovecot.sieve/tmp />/directory or
file as .dovecot.sieve is a file (the head sieve script />/that calls
the subordinate scripts out of the /sieve directory. />//>/There is a
tmp directory at /sieve/tmp/ />//>/drwxr----- 2 vmail vmail 2B May 31
04:14 tmp />//>//>/Any hints as to why this isn't working? It does seem
like the right />/answer. /The answer is in the wiki page you referred
to: "Home directory shouldn't be the same as mail directory with mbox or
Maildir formats (but with dbox/obox it's fine)." You should set
mail_home (where for example the sieve script is saved to) to a
different path than mail_location.