[Sieve] Multiple email recipients, how?

Ralph Seichter abbot at monksofcool.net
Fri Nov 22 23:48:46 EET 2019

* Robert via dovecot:

> We use a simple system for routing emails to different email users by
> postfixing the addresses with the actual user: xxxJohn at domain;
> yyyJohn at domain etc all will be delivered to user John.
> (This way John can invent a new email address on-the-fly and that will
> be delivered to his email box.)

This seems like a strange way achieve flexible email addresses. Are you
aware of sub-addressing? It has been around for ages, and is supported
by Dovecot (and Gmail, incidentally).

Imagine an existing email account <alice at example.com>. If alice wants to
use a subadress, she signs up with <alice+foo at example.com>, and Dovecot
can automatically place incoming mail for that address into INBOX/foo
(or just INBOX if INBOX/foo does not exist). Alice can use as many
sub-adresses as she needs without anybody making config changes.

Frankly, the Sieve-based approach you describe seems pretty complicated
in comparison.

-Ralph