Using dovecot Replication in a medium to large enterprise.

Edgaras Lukoševičius edgaras.lukosevicius at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 10:00:53 EET 2019

Hi,

Replication - no, never used it, but we do use Dovecot dsync a lot.
Over a few hundred servers that is, in a "multi-million user
installations".

There are some issues and pitfalls that are solvable, but in general it
works.

In the sense of resource intensity I guess dsync is as intense as
replication,
and IT IS resource intensive. Which is also solvable by process priority
etc.

For example we are tracking the state of every mailbox dsync,
as it sometimes fails and dsync needs to be re-tried.

One of the pitfalls is that I have never managed to make Sieve
replication to work,
so rsync-over-ssh is used for that.

In general it was pretty hard to make a RELIABLE dsync solution that works.

~500 mailboxes is not a lot, and it will require some effort to make
everything tick,
I'm not sure if it is worth it in your case.

The PRO version has S3 driver, consider this solution too.