Using dovecot Replication in a medium to large enterprise.

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Thu Nov 28 23:01:05 EET 2019

On 28 Nov 2019, at 00:35, Brent Clark <brentgclarklist at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have in excess of +/- 500 mail boxes and using just under 1TB of disk space. That is a lot of small files.

That’s honestly pretty small. When it says "it's not recommended to be used in multi-million user installations”
You are several orders of magnitude away from that. Well, three if you want to be technical about it.

If you want a backup server ready to go, rsync will probably work just fine for you, or as Adi have mentioned, a block-level replicator (though I suspect that is overkill) and dsync is likely to do exactly what you want. Yes, you have to keep an eye on it, but at your level It’s probably going to be solid (based on reading other’s experiences with it).

Of course, it is also easy to do it wrong, so careful reading of the documentation is critical, and testing your solution a coupe thousands times before you start relying on it.

--
MS Word still hasn't caught up -- it has more bells and whistles, but
	not as many pistons and cylinders. -- Steve Hayes