UNSEEN flag issues with multiple clients

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Fri Oct 4 23:51:56 EEST 2019

>>>>> "Sami" == Sami Ketola via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org> writes:

Sami>     On 2 Oct 2019, at 17.01, John Stoffel <john at stoffel.org> wrote:
Sami>     To look at all the mailboxes on the server and see how many RECENT
Sami>     mails there are.  For the postfix-users list, I see that there are 6
Sami>     recent messages.  And if I do the list of mailboxes command again, it
Sami>     returns the same count.  Then if I go and look at the postfix-users
Sami>     folder with my iphone, I see that I have 11 unseen messages.  And
Sami>     without opening a single message, I went back to my other MUA and
Sami>     listed the folders, and now I have 0 unseen messages for 'postfix-users'

Sami>     I'll have to see if I can log the commands sent by my iPhone from the
Sami>     server side to see what's going on here.  But as you can see, it's an
Sami>     annoying behavior.

Sami> It might be annoying but I know for a fact being a iPhone user
Sami> myself that iPhone uses SELECT to open a folder and per-RFC
Sami> dovecot then must update the flags.

Blech!  That really sucks... is there a better mail client on the
iPhone which doesn't use SELECT?  Too bad dovecot doesn't support an
option to "do the right thing" when iOS mail reader connects.

Thanks for the info, it just confirms what I feared.
John