CentOS 8 / 7

Michael Seevogel ms at ddnetservice.de
Tue Oct 8 14:20:14 EEST 2019

Am 07.10.19 um 17:23 schrieb Jonathan Casiot via dovecot:

> On 07/10/2019 15:11, Günther J. Niederwimmer via dovecot wrote:
>> Hello List,
>>
>> I have to install a "new" system, what is the best way for this. I
>> like to
>> install a CentOS System but I only found dovecot for CentOS 7 is this
>> compatible for CentOS 8 or have I to setup a CentOS 7 System ?
>>
>> The onboard dovecot is 2.2.36-5 :-(
>>
>> Thanks for a answer,
>>

> Dovecot 2.2.36-5 can be installed from the CentOS 8 AppStream
> repository using yum/dnf.
>
> Regards,

That's not what he was asking for as he already figured that there is
only 2.2.36-5 in EL8 available.
EL8 introduced some changes that especially affect build
environments/requirements.

For example tcp_wrappers has been dropped and there is also no
quota-devel package yet.
So, it's basically difficult to build certain packages (like dovecot)
due to missing dependencies that can't be resolved yet, unless one
builds the missing dependencies him/herself.

On the other hand I do wonder what's the problem with 2.2.36? You could
install this first and upgrade Dovecot at a later point when Dovecot
2.3.x is available for EL8?

Michael