Case sensitivity in :addresses in sieve vacation scripts

James Cassell fedoraproject at cyberpear.com
Tue Oct 8 15:13:29 EEST 2019

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019, at 7:58 AM, Julian Kippels via dovecot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently updated from Dovecot 2.2 to 2.3. Since I have noticed
> that vacation responses from sieve are not working the same anymore.
> For example, my sieve script looks like this:
>
>  vacation :days 1 :addresses ["Kippels at hhu.de","julian.kippels at hhu.de"]
>
> it used to be that I got a vacation response if I sent a mail to
> kippels at hhu.de and Kippels at hhu.de. Now I only get a response for
> Kippels at hhu.de, not for kippels at hhu.de.
> I cant say for sure, but I suppose this behaviour changed with the
> update. If not, why could this have happened? And in any case, how can
> I enable case insensitivity?

I took a look at the RFCs.  It appears that this change is not in accordance with the relevant standards.  SIEVE says 'the "i;ascii-casemap" comparator (which treats uppercase and lowercase characters in the US-ASCII subset of UTF-8 as the same).  If left unspecified, the default is "i;ascii-casemap".' https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5228#section-2.7.3

Since there is no mention of comparators in the Vacation RFC, it should fallback to case-insensitive: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5230

You could try working around the issue by adding to your `vacation` statement: `:comparator "i;ascii-casemap"` -- but in any case, I'd file a bug about the non-standard behavior.

V/r,
James Cassell