Password issue

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Thu Oct 10 02:23:46 EEST 2019

One of my accounts was having login failures when trying to send mail, but was able to check mail.

I tried everything I could think of to see what the issue might be, but eventually went in and reset the password in the sql database (I knew the password, so I reset it to the same password).

{SHA256-CRYPT}$5$VuS…
{SHA256-CRYPT}$5$VI7…

So the password was updated properly.

Clients can still login to check mail, but are failing to send mail, so the password was not the issue.

First, logins in to check mail and succeeds

> Oct 09 16:02:16 imap-login: Info: Login: user=<myuser at covisp.net>, xx.xx.xx.xx, PLAIN, TLS

Sends device MUA info

> Oct 09 16:02:16 imap(myuser at covisp.net)<84553><bP4acIGUJttJDqGg>: Info: ID sent: name=iPad Mail, version=17A860, os=iOS, os-version=13.1.2 (17A860)

Fails to send mail

> Oct 09 16:02:50 imap-login: Info: Aborted login (auth failed, 5 attempts in 33 secs): user=<myuser at covisp.net>, xx.xx.xx.xx, PLAIN, TLS

Postfix logs "Client host rejected: Access denied” but as I said, other accounts can submit and there’s nothing special in the submission service in master.cf.

Passwords are all copied/pasted so identical in both IMAP (p993) and SMTP (p587) settings. Settings for the SMTP server are identical to the other accounts using the same server.

I don’t know how to login to IMAP via the openssl command line interface, but this is what happens when I login to the submission port.

 % openssl s_client -connect mail.covisp.net:587 -starttls smtp
…
auth login
334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
base64(username)=
334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
base64(pasword)=
DONE

(Same results without the terminating ‘=‘)

I’m sure I am missing something really obvious?

--
Lithium will no longer be available on credit