[ext] dovecot 2.3.7.2-1~bionic: Performance issues caused by excessive IO to ~/mdbox/mailboxes/INBOX/dbox-Mails/dovecot.index.tmp

Ralf Hildebrandt Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
Wed Oct 16 13:31:17 EEST 2019

* Ralf Hildebrandt via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org>:
> * Timo Sirainen <timo at sirainen.com>:
>
> > > BTW: This post is a followup to my "2.3.7 slower than 2.3.6?" post from back in July.
> >
> > Fixed by https://github.com/dovecot/core/commit/5e9e09a041b318025fd52db2df25052b60d0fc98 and will be in the soon-to-be-released v2.3.8.
>
> I stopped 2.3.7, copied over the index files from the ramdisk into
> the physical "realm" and restarted with a fresh 2.3.8. It probably
> takes a few days to be absolutely sure.

So, in general the performance issues are gone.

But...

I'm seeing odd hourly spikes almost every hour, on the hour.
You might say: Well yes, that's a cronjob sending lots of mails. But
it isn't. There's not more or less mail coming in at that very moment.

I suspect something in dovecot running every hour (DH key regeneration?)

--
Ralf Hildebrandt
  Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin