Dovecot HSM

Sami Ketola Sami.Ketola at Open-Xchange.com
Thu Oct 31 09:41:42 EET 2019

> On 30 Oct 2019, at 23.09, Júlio Covolato via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org> wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> I'm looking for a tutorial/how-to for a HSM (Hierarchical Storage Management). keeping old messages for a user in a cheap storage and recent messages in a faster one.
>
> I see on dovecot2 wiki an alternative for hsm as "Alternate storage", but I don't now if it's a good solution for me.
>
> The expected result is a faster imap/pop access for new messages on a "heavy mail users" mailbox, and obviously low cost!

Easiest way and also what usually is done is to store the index and lock files on a faster storage. Those are more often accessed than the mail objects itself.
Also using FTS (Full Text Search) engine will speed up user searches significantly as then there is no need to open the mail objects itself.

Sami