Dovecot and Apple's Mail.app not playing nicely?

Coy Hile coy.hile at coyhile.com
Tue Sep 3 16:29:23 EEST 2019

On 2019-09-03 09:22, Sami Ketola via dovecot wrote:
>> On 3 Sep 2019, at 15.30, Coy Hile via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there anything cute one has to take into account when using Dovecot
>> with users of Apple’s Mail.app?
>> Behavior I’m seeing is that if I delete or move messages via Webmail
>> (Roundcube, Horde, or even ActiveSync
>> via Mail.app on my phone), they do get moved or deleted.  However, if
>> I take the same actions in the desktop
>> mail client, when logging in to the Webmail (or phone) app, I see the
>> messages still seeming to be in the Inbox.
>>
>> Is this known behavior? A peculiarity in Apple Mail?
>
> I am using Apple Mail.App in Macbook, iPhone and iPad. And in fact
> quite many of us internally are doing the same
> and I can't see that behaviour. Mail.App correctly obeys \Deleted flag
> and does not show the mails in folders.
>
> Sami

That's exactly the converse of what I'm seeing. Mail.app sets the
\Deleted flag, or flags a message as Junk
and moves it to the Junk folder. But when I login via, say, Roundcube,
it still shows in the inbox, though
greyed out with a little (/) icon (which I assume is the deleted flag.)
If I move or delete the message via
the webmail client, it actually gets moved to Junk or Trash. (Or
wherever I moved it.)

FWIW, I think this applies only to deleted messages (where Mail.app may
just set a flag rather than actually moving
the messages to Trash) and to Mail.app's own Junk processing. (Things
flagged as Spam and moved to Junk via Sieve do
end up in the Junk folder.)

--
Coy Hile
coy.hile at coyhile.com