Different passdb backends for different services

lists at mlserv.org lists at mlserv.org
Tue Sep 3 19:08:32 EEST 2019

> Am 03.09.2019 um 10:54 schrieb Sami Ketola via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org>:
>

>> On 3 Sep 2019, at 11.07, R.N.S. via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> as Dovecot supports submission, which is the sending direction, I am interested to know, if I can configure a separate passdb backend just for submission.
>>
>> I habe LDAP attributes that differ sending or receiving permissions. It would be nice, if I had a second passdb backend just for submission, which has a LDAP filter for locking this service.
>>

>> Example for IMAP, POP3, Sieve:
>>
>> (&(mail=%s)(mailAllowIncoming=TRUE))
>
> protocol imap {
>  passdb {
>  }
> }
>

>> Example for Submission:
>>
>> (&(mail=%s)(mailAllowOutgoing=TRUE))
>
> protocol submission {
>  passdb {
>  }
> }

I tried this, but I have done something wrong probably.

I added this to 20-imap 20-pop 20-managesieve and 20-submission. Always in the protocol sections. I also disabled the passdb section from the auth-ldap.conf.ext in 10-auth and left over the userdb part.

Sep  3 17:57:24 mx dovecot: imap-login: Error: auth-client: conn unix:login: Timeout waiting for handshake from auth server.
my pid=16106, input bytes=0
Sep  3 17:57:24 mx dovecot: imap-login: Error: auth-client: conn unix:login: Timeout waiting for handshake from auth server.
my pid=16107, input bytes=0

Can somebody tell me which "things" need the userdb and which the passdb sections?

I am a little bit confused. Or do I have to add the above lines and is some inheritance working here?

Thanks in advance

Christian