[Bug] Sieve vacation :addresses match only case-sensitive?

Jean-Daniel jddupas at xooloo.com
Wed Sep 4 22:14:48 EEST 2019

> Le 4 sept. 2019 à 19:37, Roger Klorese via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org> a écrit :
>

> On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 8:25 AM Philipp Faeustlin via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org <mailto:dovecot at dovecot.org>>
> Further investigation showed me that it has to be a bug.
>
> I tested with Dovecot 2.2.36.3 (a7d78f5a2), Pigeonhole version 0.4.24
> (5a7e9e62):
>
> In this version the additional addresses in vacation :addresses
> ["test at example.com <mailto:test at example.com>"] are handled case-insensitive.
>
> In the new version: Dovecot 2.3.7.2 (3c910f64b), Pigeonhole version
> 0.5.7.2 (7372921a) installed via https://repo.dovecot.org/ <https://repo.dovecot.org/>, (same sieve,
> same configuration) these addresses are handled case-sensitive.
>
> The case-sensitive matching of mail addresses, doesn't make any sense to me.
>
> Could someone confirm this behavior?
>

> Isn’t RFC-compliant behavior to treat the local part as case-sensitive and the domain-part as case-insensitive?

It is not recommended to rely on local-part case, but it is indeed case-sensitive.

And this is to avoid such issues that postfix supports address cleanup/canonicalisation before forwarding mails to dovecot.

RFC 5321:

"Local-part     = Dot-string / Quoted-string ; MAY be case-sensitive
[…]
While the above definition for Local-part is relatively permissive, for maximum interoperability, a host that expects to receive mail SHOULD avoid defining mailboxes where the Local-part requires (or uses) the Quoted-string form or where the Local-part is case-sensitive."