[Bug] Sieve vacation :addresses match only case-sensitive?

Philipp Faeustlin philipp.faeustlin at uni-hohenheim.de
Mon Sep 9 16:17:25 EEST 2019

>     It is not recommended to rely on local-part case, but it is indeed
>     case-sensitive.
>
>     And this is to avoid such issues that postfix supports address
>     cleanup/canonicalisation before forwarding mails to dovecot.
>
>     ----------
>     RFC 5321:
>
>     "Local-part     = Dot-string / Quoted-string ; MAY be case-sensitive
>     […]
>     While the above definition for Local-part is relatively permissive,
>     for maximum interoperability, a host that expects to receive mail
>     SHOULD avoid defining mailboxes where the Local-part requires (or
>     uses) the Quoted-string form or where the Local-part is case-sensitive."
>

> And therefore “receive liberally” policy that wants to assume
> case-insensitivity should single-case the address IN THE COMPARISON.

The local-part MAY be case-sensitive, but in general I don't know any
mail addresses where the case matters.
Thus it is hard for me to understand, why this comparison of the
vacation address is case-sensitive. Whether the final recipients address
is also treated case-insensitive.

If this has to be case-sensitive to be RFC compliant, then please create
an option for admins or users to change the behavior to an
case-insensitive comparison.