[Bug] Sieve vacation :addresses match only,> case-sensitive?

Bernd Petrovitsch bernd at petrovitsch.priv.at
Thu Sep 12 00:26:46 EEST 2019

On 11/09/2019 22:43, Hendrik Boom via dovecot wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 09:25:54PM +0200, Klaus Steinberger via dovecot wrote:
>>> I want to have it case-insensitive again, like in Pigeonhole version 0.4.24
>>
>> i would also plea for making it case-insensitive again! We were hit by this too,
>> and I never saw any mail system in which the local Part ist Case sensitive!

E.g.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9807909/are-email-addresses-case-sensitive
discusses this - including quotes from RFCs ...

> Isn't the user name in the original Unix mail system (and presumably
> most of its descentants) case sensitive?  In which case it has to
> distinguish between mail sent to bob and to Bob?

The local part of an email domain has absolutely nothing to do with any
(local or non-local) user account - and who says that there are any user
accounts/logins (apart from root and so-called system users) on the mail
system?
Yes, it *could* have something to do, and yes it actually may often be
the case but that's just a - intended or not intended - coincidence ....

MfG,
	Bernd
Bernd Petrovitsch                  Email : bernd at petrovitsch.priv.at
                     LUGA : http://www.luga.at