New to dovecot admin, question about using LDAP for user-specific values

Gerben Wierda gerben.wierda at rna.nl
Fri Sep 13 13:53:08 EEST 2019

> On 13 Sep 2019, at 11:51, Jean-Daniel Dupas <jddupas at xooloo.com> wrote:
>

>> Le 13 sept. 2019 à 09:29, Gerben Wierda via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org <mailto:dovecot at dovecot.org>> a écrit :
>>
>> Nobody?
>>
>>> On 10 Sep 2019, at 11:58, Gerben Wierda via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org <mailto:dovecot at dovecot.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am new to dovecot administration. I’ve read the Wiki but that hasn’t given me the understanding I need.
>>>
>>> When I query my LDAP (on macOS) on a value for user ‘gerben’, I can get that:
>>>
>>> dumbledore:~ gerben$ dscl /LDAPv3/127.0.0.1 -read /users/gerben GeneratedUID
>>> GeneratedUID: 780D870E-6B00-478E-AB70-3D3307215A82
>>>
>>> I would like to use that value in dovecot settings, e.g. something like
>>>
>>> user_attrs = \
>>>   =mail=maildir://Library/Server/Mail/Data/mail/%{ldap:GeneratedUID} <maildir://Library/Server/Mail/Data/mail/%%7Bldap:GeneratedUID%7D>
>>>
>>> Is this possible and if so what do I exactly need to do to get this working?
>
> As the answer is in the question, it is hard to give you any hint about what should be done.
>
> What is wrong with
>
> user_attrs = \
>   =mail=maildir://Library/Server/Mail/Data/mail/%{ldap:GeneratedUID} <maildir://Library/Server/Mail/Data/mail/%25%7Bldap:GeneratedUID%7D>
>
> Did you try it ? Have you got any issue with it ?

I haven’t tried anything yet as I am trying to learn before I do anything (and trial and error is a very slow method), but it seems to me that just that line cannot be enough. Because how does “ldap:” know to go looking in the LDAP structure at "/Users/<username>/“ in the LDAP “/LDAPv3/127.0.0.1”? Somehow I shall have to tell dovecot that.

But if trial and error is the only way, I’ll have to try.