replication newbie: some beginner questions

Ralph Seichter abbot at monksofcool.net
Wed Apr 15 21:36:37 EEST 2020

* Stefan G. Weichinger:

> does it make sense in this case to set up replication and let the
> servers replicate at first while still running on the old server?

If you use "dsync over TCP connections" [1], you can set up your new
server without users noticing it (with the exception of extra server
load for replication). It will take some time to sync all the data, but
it takes no manual action once replication is fully set up.

[1] https://wiki.dovecot.org/Replication

The docs state one should be able to use a "noreplicate" field to limit
the accounts, but I was not able to get it to work with a LDAP user DB.
Regardless what value I provided in LDAP, replication would happen, and
I could not find detailed documentation.

> do I have advantages over doing some rsync-jobs?

Oh, you know, some small stuff, like data integrity checks, retry on
failures, event-driven replication. ;-)

-Ralph