INBOX folders disappeared after upgrading

Dave dave at techhosts.com
Thu Apr 16 01:14:56 EEST 2020

Hi, tried to Google/etc to see what to tweak.. not finding anything helpful.

So.. I've been running my private mail through a Linux server since approx
year 2000. The OS has been various flavors of Fedora or CentOS, since for
work, I have to spend all day supporting some sort of Red Hat flavor.

So I run SquirrelMail on top of Dovecot and Postfix on CentOS 7, things
have been great for like forever. I recently ran updates and all my INBOX
folders disappeared. I have made no configuration changes in at least 5
years. I can't seem to resolve/figure out what's going on. I have backups
to see everything before the update. I've noticed that my subscriptions
file is missing all the folders, which are all in this file in the
backups. If I repopulate this file with the names, the next time I access
mail, they are all removed. Most of my mail is in folders, therefore I
have access to almost none of it (can see new stuff coming in, but can't
sort it anywhere).

k, for the details.. I was running dovecot-2.2.10 (2.2.10-8.el7.x86_64)
and was updated to dovecot-2.2.36 (2.2.36-3.el7_7.1.x86_64) with yum
updates.

# dovecot --version
2.2.36 (1f10bfa63)
# dovecot -n
# 2.2.36 (1f10bfa63): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.10.0-1062.18.1.el7.x86_64 x86_64 CentOS Linux release
7.7.1908 (Core)
# Hostname: vm1.tech...com
auth_mechanisms = plain login
login_greeting = IMAP ready.
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mbox_write_locks = fcntl
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
service auth {
    mode = 0600
    user = postfix
  }
}
service imap-login {
  inet_listener imap {
    address = 127.0.0.1,68.139.25.150
  }
  inet_listener imaps {
    address = 127.0.0.1,68.139.25.150
  }
}
service pop3-login {
  inet_listener pop3 {
    port = 0
  }
  inet_listener pop3s {
    address = 127.0.0.1,68.139.25.150
  }
}
ssl = required
ssl_cert = </etc/pki/tls/certs/mail.tech...com.crt
ssl_cipher_list = ALL:!aNULL:!eNULL:!LOW:!EXP:!RC4
ssl_key =  # hidden, use -P to show it
ssl_prefer_server_ciphers = yes
userdb {
  driver = passwd