Recommendations on intrusion prevention/detection?

lists lists at lazygranch.com
Wed Apr 22 18:23:29 EEST 2020

My email server is set up for port 587. I block all email ports other than port 25 from countries that I will not be sending or receiving email. This is really only practical on a personal server. I also have a blocking file of data center IPs.  Port 25 is still open to the world but that has to be the case.

Firewalls are a bit ram intensive but not CPU intensive.

I am not saying this is perfect. Rather I have reduced the number of jerks that can access my email. Prior to running my own email server, I used a hosted service. I got hacked from an exploit in roundcube from Morocco. I don't use webmail and while I'm sure Morocco is a fine country, I don't need email access from there. This is why I now run my own email.