Recommendations on intrusion prevention/detection?

Michael Peddemors michael at linuxmagic.com
Thu Apr 23 01:02:32 EEST 2020

On 2020-04-22 2:52 p.m., byalefp at yahoo.com.br wrote:
> Usually I use pfsense as main firewall with snort blocking all kind of
> scans and others.
>
> Fail2ban triggering after 3 unsuccessful tries and for last iptables if
> Linux or ipfw If Freebsd
>
> Keep pfsense synced with intrusion lists is an must have.
>
> And for last, bans are not temporary on my setup, are forever, except if
> an real user after validate his info / data calls to unblock him.
>
> There's some guides around about deal with post screen, but never get
> that working... RBL and spamhaus lists on mail server and on DNS are
> another must have.
>
> Good luck
>
> Atenciosamente,

Just one comment.. permanent iptables bans on SSL/TLS authentication
ports is no longer a viable option, eg.. you would not want to block the
airports's IP, just because one person had an infection on his laptop..

Carrier Grade NAT, WIFI hotspots etc all would be affected.

Long term, move towards 2FA, short term block specific user auth/IP
combinations, but that won't happen in iptables.. Our case it is
proprietary methods, but using a memcache entry is a highly scalable way
to record suspicious login attempts with enough information so that you
only block the attacker, and not the IP for varying lengths of time.

Or as mentioned, temp blocking with fail2ban is an option that is
workable and easy for most people.

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."