Hierarchy separator recommendation?

Ivo c.e4ed1a035298f9021dcfbca4d511c303 at ultra.hr
Sun Apr 26 14:34:16 EEST 2020

On 26.4.2020. 12:17, Markus Winkler wrote:

>> Doesn't it, in the end, all come to translation from IMAP names
>> (user,folder) to OS filesystem names within dovecot (at some
>> benchmark tests expense) ? :-)
>
> No, as there's a difference between "namespace / hierarchy" (mailbox
> name) and "layout" separators (OS filesystem).

Hi Markus,

I was trying to write wannabe-joke / philosophical / theoretical
comment. It seems that I failed :-(

What I tried to say is something like this :
If some character is forbidden for usage in file or folder name in your
OS who stands in your way to "escape it" or use mappings e.g. use
9ca6aead2310a010cf445099d8c731490329f9af  (result of
SHA1('Markus.Winkler')) instead of Markus.Winkler if '.' creates a
problem. You need just one additional file to record mapping info and
some CPU cycles / IO operations  to do mappings every time you need to
access it (hence mentioning benchmark tests). Yes, admins would "love"
that and yes, this comment had no real value for dovecot users. Sorry.

Have a nice day,

Ivo.