Header search on Dovecot with SOLR

Ricardo Machini Barbosa ricardomachini at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 19:56:59 EEST 2020

Hello,

I am using dovecot 2.3.0 with FTS Solr 7.7.2.

I started having problems where the solr stopped working, I came to the
conclusion that when a specific user is accessing his email, the queries
made on SOLR are dropping this service.

Apr 28 11:03:59 Error:
imap(tullio at dominio.com.br)<125772><fdHRQlqkupe6zZkj>: fts_solr: Lookup
failed: Request timed out (Request queued 180.186 secs ago, 2 times retried,
3 send attempts in 180.185 secs, 60.062 in last attempt, 60.063 in http
ioloop, 0.000 in other ioloops, connected 60.062 secs ago)

Analyzing the solr logs, we got an example query:

http://127.0.0.1:8983/solr/dovecot/select?wt=xml&fl=uid,score&rows=15824&sor
t=uid+asc&q=%7b!lucene+q.op%3dAND%7dhdr:%3ceyJlX21faWQiOjE1ODUxMiwidF9pZCI6O
DUxMCwiZV9jX2lkIjoxLCJjX3BfdF9pZCI6MywiY19pZCI6MzQ4MzIzMDUsImVfaWQiOjg3NjYwL
CJlX3RfaWQiOjYsInRzIjoiMjAyMC0wNC0yNCAxOTozMjoxMS4wIn0%3d at edrone.me%3e&fq=%2
Bbox:8ba9c7227a37835cbaf20100b047fe86+%2Buser:tullio at dominio.com.br

What I could see is that this query in question was a search in the headers
and not in the body.

Should this query type go through FTS Solr?

Reading the documentation I understand that the standard behavior is that
header searches are made by dovecot and only bodies searches are made by
Solr.

I saw about a recent option called fts_enforced, where it is possible to
forward header searches to FTS, but I am not using this option.

I would like to know if my understanding is incorrect or if there is some
kind of problem with dovecot?

Regards,

Ricardo