Migration issue

Markus Winkler ml at irmawi.de
Tue Aug 4 22:38:04 EEST 2020

Hi Kishore,

On 04.08.20 17:48, Kishore Potnuru wrote:
> passdb {
>          args = /etc/dovecot/master-users
>          driver = passwd-file
>          master = yes
>          #pass = yes
-----------^^^^^^^^^^^
IMHO not important for this case , but in your environment it could be
better to enable 'pass = yes'

> passdb {
>      driver = passwd-file
>      args = username_format=%u /etc/dovecot/passwd
> }
>
> Now I am getting the below Authentication error from production2.

According to your password file, could you please try to change it this way:

passdb {
      driver = passwd-file
      args = scheme=PLAIN username_format=%u /etc/dovecot/passwd
}

AFAIK the default scheme is CRYPT, so I think it's necessary to change it
with this parameter.

> I have copied the same content of the "passwd" file to "master-users" file. Actually, it should be having same content? if different, what will be the data and which format?

> imapc_password = vmail
> imapc_master_user = vmail

To be honest: I'm not sure.

If you want to use a master user then the credentials for
imapc_master_user/imapc_password have to be in /etc/dovecot/master-users of
'production1'.

But AFAIK the migration should also work without using a master user (as
long as you have the credentials of all the users of the old server). I
hope I'm not wrong. It's been a while since I've done such a migration from
an old server and cannot remember the details.

HTH and regards,
Markus