Bug: Dovecot appending "MISSING_DOMAIN" to fetch envelope responses

Michael Gratton mike at vee.net
Sat Aug 15 06:26:48 EEST 2020

Hi all,

I'm seeing Dovecot include the string "MISSING_DOMAIN" in fetch
envelope requests when an mailbox's `addr-spec` part does not have a
`domain` part.

For example:

>  C: a022 uid fetch 40 (envelope rfc822.header)
>  S: * 5 FETCH (UID 40 ENVELOPE ("Sat, 15 Aug 2020 12:53:05 +1000"
> "test {{name}}" (("Michael Gratton" NIL "mike" "vee.net")) (("Michael
> Gratton" NIL "mike" "vee.net")) (("Michael Gratton" NIL "mike"
> "vee.net")) (("postgres" NIL "postgres" "MISSING_DOMAIN")) NIL NIL
> NIL NIL) RFC822.HEADER {literal/244b})

I understand that RFC 5322 require a mailbox to have a domain part,
however it is still possible for mail to contain mailboxes that do not.
In these cases, Dovecot returning random string such as the above is
harmful, since it not possible for IMAP clients to determine whether
host name string is actually present or something that the IMAP server
has made up.

As a result, an IMAP client has two options: Either display the string
as-is, preventing it from providing an appropriately localised
explanation or visual indication of the problem in the user interface,
or simply avoid ever requesting IMAP envelopes from the server and
always download and parse the complete RFC822 headers itself (as I
believe Thunderbird does).

The former is untenable since "MISSING_DOMAIN" does not mean anything
to non-English speakers, the latter is untenable since it unnecessarily
inflates the of volume of data that must be transmitted over the wire
to work around a server bug.

In these cases, or when any other part of a required IMAP address
structure is missing, Dovecot should return the empty string, e.g. "".

Cheers,
//Mike

Dovecot details:

--