Strange index error on NFS after upgrade to CentOS 7 from 6

Alessio Cecchi alessio at skye.it
Tue Aug 25 16:43:04 EEST 2020

Hi,

I'm running 3 Dovecot director and 6 Dovecot backend on CentOS 6 and
Dovecot 2.3.10, with Maildir shared on NFSv3 (on NetApp).

Since CentOS 6 will be EOL on November I started to upgrade to CentOS 7
the first Dovecot backend.

But after Director start to direct users on new CentOS 7 server some
errors, for any users, come up, an example:

Aug 21 14:56:41 Error: imap(alessio at cecchi.it)
session=<11sBlmKtj1qelGW/>: Mailbox INBOX: Broken or unexpectedly
changed file
/home/vmail/domains/cecchi.it/alessio/Maildir/dovecot-uidlist line
18664: Invalid data:  - re-reading from beginning
Aug 21 14:56:41 Error: imap(alessio at cecchi.it)
session=<11sBlmKtj1qelGW/>: Mailbox INBOX: Broken file
/home/vmail/domains/cecchi.it/alessio/Maildir/dovecot-uidlist line
18664: Invalid data:

Consequently to the error the user see the synchronization of his
mailbox again.

The Dovecot version and configuration is the same that in CentOS 6, also
the mount parameters are the same, so I suspect that could be some
difference in the NFS client implementation on CentOS 7.

This the entry on fstab:

192.168.1.2:/vmail0 /mnt/vmail0 nfs
rw,nfsvers=3,noatime,nodiratime,_netdev,nordirplus    0    0
# Bind for vmail0
/mnt/vmail0/domains /home/vmail/domains none
x-systemd.requires=/mnt/vmail0,x-systemd.automount,bind 0 0

In the archive of this list I found a similar issue but without a solutions:

https://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2018-October/113207.html

Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks

--