Metric label values truncated when using OpenMetrics endpoint

Daan van Gorkum daan.vangorkum at vusam.com
Thu Aug 27 05:04:20 EEST 2020

Hi Jeff,

Thanks again for your insights. I understand that a lot of features are pending and it's totally fine, we're just very eager to use all these features.

Reagarding the logging of failed attempts I did try to configure this in these two metrics:

metric auth_client_userdb_lookup_finished {
 event_name = auth_client_userdb_lookup_finished
 group_by = service local_ip remote_ip user
}

metric auth_client_passdb_lookup_finished {
 event_name = auth_client_passdb_lookup_finished
 group_by = service local_ip remote_ip user
}

In both our testing and production environment these are not increasing and stay at 0:

$ sudo curl 0:9166/metrics -s | grep -E 'dovecot_auth_client_(user|pass)db_lookup_finished'
# HELP dovecot_auth_client_userdb_lookup_finished_count Total number
# TYPE dovecot_auth_client_userdb_lookup_finished_count counter
dovecot_auth_client_userdb_lookup_finished_count 0 1598493762018
# HELP dovecot_auth_client_userdb_lookup_finished_duration_usecs_sum Duration
# TYPE dovecot_auth_client_userdb_lookup_finished_duration_usecs_sum counter
dovecot_auth_client_userdb_lookup_finished_duration_usecs_sum 0 1598493762018
# HELP dovecot_auth_client_passdb_lookup_finished_count Total number
# TYPE dovecot_auth_client_passdb_lookup_finished_count counter
dovecot_auth_client_passdb_lookup_finished_count 0 1598493762018
# HELP dovecot_auth_client_passdb_lookup_finished_duration_usecs_sum Duration
# TYPE dovecot_auth_client_passdb_lookup_finished_duration_usecs_sum counter
dovecot_auth_client_passdb_lookup_finished_duration_usecs_sum 0 1598493762018

I will try to gather some more information and post it later. Let me know if you think there might be something up with the way we configure them.

Daan