PBKDF2 password hashing as in ASP.NET Core

Aki Tuomi aki.tuomi at open-xchange.com
Sun Aug 30 20:27:25 EEST 2020

In case you are interested,

https://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/ConvertPasswordSchemes

By the way, I am bit sceptical that CRYPT-SHA512 is less secure than PBKDF2.

CRYPT-SHA512 is not "just" SHA512(salt||password), it does at least 1000 rounds of hashing in similar way as PBKDF2 does. So, what is your reasoning for claiming that PBKDF2 is much secure than CRYPT-SHA512?

Also, if you look at hashcat cracking speeds, you'll see that the speed of cracking is slower for CRYPT-SHA512 than for PBKDF2-SHA512. See https://github.com/siseci/hashcat-benchmark-comparison/blob/master/1x%20GTX%201080%20TI%20hashcat%20benchmark.txt

Aki