quota-status for outgoing mail (Dovecot/Postfix)

Peter Folta mail at peterfolta.net
Sun Dec 6 22:13:41 EET 2020

[Dovecot version 2.3.11.3 (502c39af9)]

Hi all,

I’m using Dovecot’s quota-status service to let Postfix check the recipient’s quota before accepting emails following the guide here: https://blog.sys4.de/postfix-dovecot-mailbox-quota-en.html <https://blog.sys4.de/postfix-dovecot-mailbox-quota-en.html>. This works well for inbound emails.

I would like to set up something similar for outbound email, i.e. if a user is over quota, they should not be allowed to send new emails. At the moment, the setup is in a bit of an inconsistent state: Users that have exceeded their quota are still able to send outbound emails but saving them in their Sent folder will fail leaving them without a copy.

I have tried using Dovecot’s quota-status in Postfix’s smtpd_send_restrictions but didn’t get this to work. A quick look at the Dovecot source code seems to suggest that the quota-status plugin is only checking the recipient address: https://github.com/dovecot/core/blob/master/src/plugins/quota/quota-status.c#L135-L146 <https://github.com/dovecot/core/blob/master/src/plugins/quota/quota-status.c#L135-L146> and https://github.com/dovecot/core/blob/master/src/plugins/quota/quota-status.c#L109-L111 <https://github.com/dovecot/core/blob/master/src/plugins/quota/quota-status.c#L109-L111>.

I suspect it’s not possible to use the quota-status service to control outbound email but thought I’d ask to confirm. I’m wondering if there’s a different way to achieve this?

Thanks
Peter