Question about login_log_format_elements in a proxy environment

John Fawcett john at voipsupport.it
Mon Dec 7 18:13:25 EET 2020

On 07/12/2020 06:02, Adi Pircalabu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dovecot proxy setup with several proxy machines (currently
> running 2.3.11.3) in front of the real Dovecot servers (2.3.10.1)
> storing the mailboxes. "doveconf -a | egrep lip" returns:
> login_log_format_elements = user=<%u> method=%m rip=%r lip=%l mpid=%e
> %c session=<%{session}>
>
> In the real server maillog I'm expecting to have "lip" replaced with
> the IP address of the proxy. It works as expected for imap-login
> processes, however for pop3-login processes I still see the real
> server IP instead of the proxy IP. Ideas?
>
> Regards,

Hi Adi

in general people want to get the original ip not the proxied ip. The
proxying of the original ip is done by a different method for imap and pop3

https://wiki.dovecot.org/Design/ParameterForwarding

However, unless I'm reading this wrongly, both methods are affected by
trusted_networks settings. I guess for people to help further, you'd
need to give more info your configuration settings.

John