maildirfolder file created in maildir root during auto-creation with 2.3.4.1 but not 2.2.27

Christian Balzer chibi at gol.com
Wed Feb 5 09:13:37 EET 2020

Hello,

On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 08:58:29 +0200 Aki Tuomi wrote:

> Can you provide full doveconf -n output? Also how are you delivering mail?

As pretty much implied, Exim is delivering mails, w/o problems.
And if it gets to create the home directory, everything is fine
and maildirsize gets put there.

But if the first access is via the newer dovecot the bogus maildirfolder
file gets created in the home directory and prevents Exim (and itself?)
from putting a maildirsize there.

My bet is that that something in the auto-create logic changed or the
"mail_home" needing to be set explicitly instead of defaulting to
mail_location if unset, etc.

Redacted and relevant parts only:
---
# 2.3.4.1 (f79e8e7e4): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# Pigeonhole version 0.5.4 ()
# OS: Linux 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 Debian 10.2
# Hostname: testbox.gol.com
auth_default_realm = gol.com
default_client_limit = 16384
default_process_limit = 1024
first_valid_uid = 8
imap_hibernate_timeout = 30 secs
imap_idle_notify_interval = 8 mins
imap_logout_format = in=%i out=%o head=<%{fetch_hdr_count}> del=<%{deleted}> exp=<%{expunged}> trash=<%{trashed}> session=<%{session}>
login_trusted_networks = some.net.work
mail_gid = 8
mail_location = maildir:%h
mail_privileged_group = mail
mail_uid = 8
mailbox_idle_check_interval = 1 mins
maildir_very_dirty_syncs = yes

passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext
  driver = ldap
}
plugin {
  quota = maildir:User
  quota_rule = ?:storage=200M
  quota_rule2 = Trash:storage=+50M
  sieve = file:~/sieve;active=~/.dovecot.sieve
}

userdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext
  driver = ldap
}
verbose_proctitle = yes
protocol imap {