Email Server Backup Strategy

Francis Augusto Medeiros-Logeay r_f at med-lo.eu
Mon Feb 10 11:31:50 EET 2020

On 09.02.2020 19:08, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/2/20 4:59 am, Francis Augusto Medeiros-Logeay wrote:
>> What I do:
>>
>> 1 - I ran a maildirlock command to my mail folder 2 - I then rsync
>> the folder where my maildirs are, as well as the indexes, to a
>> remote location
>
> If rsync is not fast... then how about doing a snapshot and then rsync
> off the snapshot?  (I do rsync over lvm snapshots to back up file
> systems cleanly) and, btw, perform file system dumps [ufsdump /
> ufsrestore like, but dump and restore on Linux] of *non-mounted*
> backup file systems fwiw.

That's a good idea - In my case rsync is super fast, 1-2 min tops, so I
can afford the lock for that time. But I surely should check more about
snapshots.

> I have other rsyncs that happen via rsnapshot during the day, I don't
> worry about snapshotting them though, but I probably should....
>
>> 3 - I tar.gz the daily backup 4 - I kill the maildirlock process
>>
>> I also use replication of my server so that I keep getting mail
>> when my main server isn't available.
>
> You mean backup mx?

Yes. It is a work of beauty that thing :) I remember how cool it was to
see mail being replicated when both servers are up and one responding
for mail when one of the servers is down.

Best,

Francis