Email Server Backup Strategy

Germain germain at lanvaux.fr
Mon Feb 10 19:51:02 EET 2020

On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 18:26:25 +0100
Esteban L <esteban at little-beak.com> wrote:

> Was thinking it would be wise to backup my server, in case anything
> "bad" ever happened, so that I could quickly get up to speed.

Thanks for asking (I could not find a lot of threads about it when I looked into it.)

I am obsessive so I have a forward-all rule in POSTFIX that pipes to a command line from which I cast to another server where I save (and replicate to another server and so on.)

This is what I do ,what I'd recommend is that'd be a feature delivered with POSTFIX (since it's the `first' program to receive the email and tell the sender that it's ok, it's been received.  Perhaps that's why I did not find much: I was focusing my search around POSTFIX.)

Now I understand one is supposed to have a back up email server but that's for if the internet facing one is down/disconnected ?
I think there is something in the standard to say to reasonably retry.

I'm here originially to set up my system on my iPhone with server-side rules.
(Thus only realizing there seems to be a built-in backup mechanism in Dovecot?)

--
Germain Le Chapelain
Software Engineer