encrypted storage on the fly using user's password without storing password on the server

Alex Knowles dovecot.lists at graphyc.io
Thu Feb 13 01:54:22 EET 2020

Hi all,

I just joined the list. I've read through the mail-crypt plugin docs
here https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/mail_crypt_plugin/

I'm still unclear (I'm not an expert) about the following: Is it
possible to obtain on-the-fly encrypted storage using the user's
password without the password being stored on the server? Basically a
zero-knowledge solution.

Theoretically this should be possible as the user provides the password
when storing or retrieving emails. The above plugin docs don't make it
clear for me whether it is supported.

Could a kind clarify? I'd also be very grateful for a working conf as an
example.

Best wishes and thanks in advance,

Alex.