.IMAP

Thomas Zajic zlatko-dovecot at zlatk0.net
Sat Feb 15 12:55:55 EET 2020

* Jos Chrispijn, 14.02.20 14:47

> On 14-2-20 13:39, Aki Tuomi wrote:
>
>> This is why you put mail_location=driver:~/Mail and ensure the mails are under there, instead of mail_location=driver:~/
>
> Yes, that is what I thought; when I use that setting, I get this error:
> [...]

Of course you shouldn't put "driver" there literally, but replace it with the actual
mailbox type (ie. "mbox", "maildir", "dbox", ...). The error message below contains
a hint to the problem, but admittedly it's easy to miss:

> Feb 14 14:32:15 xxxx dovecot[8549]: imap(jos)<8739><5ErUO4meZthSsH9H>: Initializing mail storage from mail_location setting failed:
> Unknown mail storage driver driver in=0 out=375 deleted=0 expunged=0 trashed=0 hdr_count=0 hdr_bytes=0 body_count=0 body_bytes=0
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It would probably be easier to find if the actual driver name would be put in quotes
in the logging line (Unknown mail storage driver "driver" in=0 ...).

> [...]
> When I change
>
> mail_location = mbox:/home/%u:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
>
> into
>
> mail_location = mbox:/home/%u/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
>
> I only get inbox (the /var/mail/%u content) and the Deleted mailbox.

That's probably because the second part of Aki's advise hasn't been followed yet
("... and ensure the mails are under there, ..."). You need to physically move all
mail related files and folders to the ~/mail subdir of each user. The "Deleted"
mailbox probably still shows up because your MUA has been configured to use a local
folder for it instead of an IMAP folder.

HTH,
Thomas