Can't move/delete folder "Renaming not supported across conflicting directory permissions"

Johannes Rohr johannes at rohr.org
Mon Feb 24 10:04:17 EET 2020

Dear all,

several users have reported that they were unable to move/delete
folders using Thunderbird and they got the message "Renaming not
supported across conflicting directory permissions". When I google for
this message, I see hints like "your mail may not be all on the same
volume", but here this is definitely not the case. All mail is in
/var/mail/virtual and owned by mail:mail

Curiously, when I tried the same operation in Roundcube, there was no
error reported, so something about the combination of Thunderbird and
Dovecot seems to be causing the error.

Does anyone have advise on how I should go about tracking down the
cause of the error?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Johannes