dovecot 2 samba ad-dc

Christian Schmidt Christian.Schmidt at chemie.uni-hamburg.de
Fri Feb 28 12:37:58 EET 2020

Hi Phil,

phil, 20.02.20:
> I try to build a mail server based on Centos 7, postfix and dovecot 2.
> My backend is a Samba4 ad-dc.
>
> I tried a lot and I don't know what else I could try.I'm new to this
> mailing list so please forgive me if I don't give right information or
> anything
>
> Samba4 ad-dc is up incl. dns. Win10 Client joined domain and
> authentication works.
>
> Postfix is up and checks against ldap whether recipient address exists.
> It takes mail via telnet and queues them. But can't give it to dovecot.

You told postfix to hand over the messages to dovecot using
dovecot-deliver. I 'm not sure which privileges are used/needed by
dovecot in this case. Your dovecot has been configured to use uid/gid
vmail/vmail, and maybe this causes problems.

I'd give lmtp a try. Just define a "transport" for postfix which hands
over messages for "local delivery" to dovecot using lmtp. From my point
of view, this makes life easier qith dovecot running with vmail/vmail.

You should take another look at dovecot's userdb settings as dovecot's
last log line states "Userdb lookup failed".

After having taken a closer look, I'm just wondering about your
user_filter = (mailRoutingAddress=%u)

There is no such attribute (MailRoutingAddress) in your ldapsearch results.
My conclusion: dovecot is looking for something non-existant - and can't
find it ;-)...

I'd also recommend using a preceding "%L" to make dovecot use lowercase
characters, e.g.:
user_attrs = uid=%Lu,=home=/mail/%Ld/%Ln
This can make life easier sometimes...

Kind Regards,
Christian

--