Dovecot, pigeonhole and hardlinks

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Fri Jan 3 21:59:29 EET 2020

Il 03-01-2020 19:51 @lbutlr ha scritto:
> On 03 Jan 2020, at 06:16, Gionatan Danti <g.danti at assyoma.it> wrote:
>> What surprises me is that hard-linking identical messages saves so
>> much space, yet nobody seems to asking/using such feature.
>> So, either a) few cares about saving space or b) few are using the
>> pigeonhole plugin. And both a) and b) seems unlikely...
>
> Or
>
> c) we see nearly no truly identical messages.

Well, sure, this is another possibility.

However, on all mailserver which I manage, a significant portion of
total emails are messages sent to groups/lists rather than single
recipient. Cyrus and other proprietary mailservers (eg: CommuniGate Pro)
use unix shared storage (aka hardlink) to avoid copying the message to
multiple inboxes. This is especially valuable when a) large groups
exists or b) a large message is sent to groups/lists.

Please also note that, when not using Pigeonhole, Dovecot *does* use
hardlink for messages sent to multiple recipients and/or groups. It is
only when Pigeonhole is active that the hardlinking does not happen.

Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico