Dovecot - Upgrade Solr 7.7.2 to 8.4.1

Shawn Heisey apache at elyograg.org
Thu Jan 23 02:02:08 EET 2020

On 1/22/2020 4:03 PM, Domenico Pastore wrote:
> So, with Dovecot is it possible to use Apache Solr 8.4?
> High RAM usage is the only problem?

I don't know whether it's possible, but I imagine there is some way to
make it work.  I don't see anything in the solrconfig or schema provided
for fts_solr with Solr 7.7 that wouldn't work in 8.x.  The solrconfig
does contain config that sets the default field to _text_, which is a
nonexistent field in the schema.  If that were going to be a problem, it
would affect all Solr versions.

As for the memory ... Solr is a Java program.  Java programs have a
configurable limit on the amount of heap memory they can allocate,
enforced by Java itself.  There is no difference between 7.x and 8.x in
this.  Java is only going to use more memory if you tell it that it is
allowed to do so.

Thanks,
Shawn