Bug: Regex doesn't match ungreedy

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Thu Jan 23 12:48:35 EET 2020

Hi,

Op 23-1-2020 om 11:39 schreef Lorenz Steinert:
> Hello,
>
> first the mandatory dovecot specs:
>
> - dovecot 2.3.9.2-1
>
> - Operating system: Archlinux
>
> - x84 cpu
>
> - ext4 filesystem
>

> My problem is that the sieve regex filter doesn't seem to match
> ungreedely so the regex:
>
> ^(Re: |)\\[(.*?)\\/(.*?)\\]
>
> evaluates the last capturing group of
>
> [matrix-org/synapse] [Don't merge!!] Backport fix for MAU limits to
> v1.8.0  (#6763)

> synapse] [Don't merge!!
>
> wich should have been
>
> synapse

Sieve is using the POSIX regular expression syntax  and semantics for
the "regex" extension. Pigeonhole uses the libc implementation of that
(regcomp(), regexec()), so if you think this behavior is wrong (I don't
really know), you should report it to those responsible for your libc
implementation.

Regards,

Stephan.