wrong Messages in virtual Folder

Frank-Ulrich Sommer f-u.s at gmx.net
Fri Jan 24 02:17:29 EET 2020

Hello,

I created a virtual Folder that should contain all Mails from several different Folders and their subfolders. Recently I added a new folder to the dovecot-virtual file and then found that most Mails from this folder were missing. I always restartet dovecot (is this necessary?) after any change. The system is running Debian Stretch and I am using the supplied dovecot 2.2.7 (see below for output of doveconf -n).

To narrow this down I removed all other directories from the dovecot-virtual file and then found that the number of mails is correct, but most mails are the wrong ones from other directories. The dovecot-virtual file currently contains only the source directory and in the last line 4 spaces followed by the keyword "all" and a newline. Mails that where moved there after the directory was added to the virtual folder seemed to be displayed correct. If I move one Mail away from the source diectory a totally different Mail in the virtual Folder disappers. After moving the file back to the source folder it correctly appears in the virtual folder.

What might be the cause and how can I fix it?

Thanks,
Frank

Output of "doveconf -n":

# 2.2.27 (c0f36b0): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# Pigeonhole version 0.4.16 (fed8554)
# OS: Linux 4.9.0-11-amd64 x86_64 Debian 9.11 zfs
auth_verbose = yes
log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
mail_location = maildir:/home/bananamail/Maildir:INDEX=/var/dovecot_indexes/%u
mail_plugins = " virtual fts fts_solr"
mailbox_list_index = yes
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date index ihave duplicate mime foreverypart extracttext
namespace {
   location = virtual:~/Maildir/virtual
   prefix = _virtual.
   separator = .
   type = private
}
namespace inbox {
   inbox = yes
   location =
   mailbox Drafts {
     special_use = \Drafts
   }
   mailbox Junk {
     special_use = \Junk
   }
   mailbox Sent {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox "Sent Messages" {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox Trash {
     special_use = \Trash
   }
   prefix =
}
passdb {
   args = scheme=CRYPT username_format=%u /etc/dovecot/users
   driver = passwd-file
}
plugin {
   fts = solr
   fts_autoindex = yes
   fts_enforced = yes
   fts_solr = break-imap-search url=http://localhost:8080/solr/
   sieve = file:~/sieve;active=~/.dovecot.sieve
}
postmaster_address = postmaster at localhost
protocols = imap
service imap-login {
   inet_listener imaps {
     port = XXXX
     ssl = yes
   }
}
ssl = required
ssl_cert = <XXXXXXXXX/fullchain.pem
ssl_cipher_list = ALL:!LOW:!SSLv2:!SSLv3:!EXP:!aNULL
ssl_dh_parameters_length = 2048
ssl_key =  # hidden, use -P to show it
ssl_protocols = !SSLv3 !TLSv1
userdb {
   args = username_format=%u /etc/dovecot/users
   driver = passwd-file
}
protocol imap {
   mail_max_userip_connections = 200