Strategy for fts and Replication

Francis Augusto Medeiros-Logeay r_f at med-lo.eu
Fri Jan 31 18:24:40 EET 2020

Hi there,

I got successfully to replicate my mail server to another dovecot
install using dsync, mainly for redundancy, and it works great.

I want to try to install fts, as some of the mailboxes have tens of
thousands of messages, and it takes minutes to get some results when
searching via IMAP on a Roundcube interface.

I want to experiment with fts-solr first, and firstly on my redundant
server, ie., not on my main dovecot install. Is it ok to do this? I ask
because I am afraid of how this whole reindexing on the redundant
install will affect the production server.

Also, any tips on something else than fts-solr? I tried it once, but it
was so hard to get it right, so many configurations, java, etc., that
I'd rather try something else. I also could try fts-elastic or something
like that, but, again, having to maintain an elasticsearch install might
use more resources than I think is worth. Any thoughts on that?

Best,

--
Francis