Problems with userdb and mail deliveribility

Chris Bennett chris-dvcot at freedomforlife.rocks
Mon Jun 1 17:25:12 EEST 2020

On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 01:00:53PM -0600, @lbutlr wrote:
> On 17 May 2020, at 11:08, Chris Bennett <chris-dvcot at freedomforlife.rocks> wrote:
> >
> > I realize that I dumpimg a lot of info out there.
>
> But not what we need.
>
> doveconf -n
> postfix -n (or equivalent)
>
> What MTA you are using (postfix, etc)
>
> Errors in mail.log showing the failures.
>

> > I can shoot for system users, but I really want to get the virtual users
> > working. This is a bit of a project.
>
> user=vmail delay=2h50m40s result=TempFail stat=Error (temporary failure: "mail.lmtp: LMTP server error: 550 5.1.1 <rodeo at consulting-diy-construction.com> User doesn't exist:
>
> Probably your LMTP lookup is malformed, probably in your MTA.
>
> lmtp(rodeo)<45419><iDyPNMV2v15rsQAAdP1VAQ:2>: Error: mkdir(/var/vmail//rodeo/Maildir) failed: Permission denied (euid=1000(rodeo) egid=1000(rodeo) missing +w perm: /var, dir owned by 0:0 mode=0755)
>
> You have permission issues. vmail (and all files and folders in vmail) should be owned by the vmail user, not by root.

Thanks. Sorry for such a delay in responding, but I was out in the
boonies for awhile.

I am using OpenSMTPD.
The problems for this were indeed as you suggested and with the passwd
files.

This is all working now, but I have some other problems which I will
work on too.

I will continue to work on those and ask another thread if I cannot get
that worked out.

Thanks again.
Chris Bennett