Doveadm Backup (other) issues

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Mon Jun 8 17:39:03 EEST 2020

Gingko> I also have issues using Dovecot Backup.

Gingko> I am trying to Backup (or possibly Sync - one way) a single
Gingko> user IMAP account from a remote server, unknown type, to my
Gingko> own server.

>> I think this is the key problem here, doveadm only talks to dovecot
>> servers, both source and destination.  You might want to try the tool
>> 'imapsync' instead.  I'd get it from the github site, or see if it's
>> packaged on your client end.

Sami> This is incorrect. Doveadm dsync can be used to pull mails from
Sami> remote imap server that is not dovecot.

Thanks for teaching more something new!

>> https://github.com/imapsync/imapsync
>>
>> This is a much simpler way to pull down a single IMAP account.

Sami> .. but imapsync does not migrate all data.

In what way?  I've found that using imapsync worked well to get data
out of Lotus Notes and into a regular Unix mbox file format when I've
used it in the past.  Admittedly not pushing into a local dovecot
instance.

John