Login auth strip domain from username

David Pottage david at electric-spoon.com
Sat Jun 13 22:58:49 EEST 2020

Hi,

I have just discovered that the IMAP account setup wizard in outlook
2019 assumes that the email address for a user is the same as their
username, and there is no easy way to separately enter different user.
(It can be done via hidden dialog boxes, command line switches and
registry hacking, but it is far from easy [1])

Like many small setups, the dovecot accounts on my mail server map
directly to unix accounts on the machine, and the IMAP password for each
account is the same as the unix login password.

I have now got outlook sorted and talking to my IMAP server, but seeing
as this issue will almost certainly arise again, with out
over-simplified MUA software, is there a setting in dovecot that if it
is given an email address as a login username it strips off the domain
part, and tests the user part against the password supplied?

If you know how to do that for postfix for sending email, then even
better!

[1]
https://superuser.com/questions/1391960/how-to-enter-username-of-imap-account-in-outlook-2016

--