dovecot fts configuration without solr

Danilo Tomasoni danilo.tomasoni at cryptolab.net
Tue Jun 23 14:39:19 EEST 2020

Hello All,

I always used dovecot and I'm pretty happy with it, but recently I
changed OS (to ubuntu 18) and to get dovecot LTS with lucene (the
default I was using on my previous arch installation) I needed to build
from source the version 2.3.10 (the one that came with the repos was
older and clucene was not actually supported)

The problem is that the Clucene is not behaving well, It indexes only
some mails but definitely not all according to my tests (there are also
strange assertion errors in the logs)

I also tried xapian fts index but is very slow indexing and definitely
doesn't seem to work.

The problem with solr fts is that solr doesn't even start on my tiny
system (odroid C2 with 2GB RAM)

and anyway I don't want to bloat all the system for the indexing if
possible..

Anyone can suggest me a proper minimal and working configuration?

Thank you

Danilo