Sieve junks mail script creating links

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Mon Mar 2 21:32:44 EET 2020

On 19 Feb 2020, at 00:47, @lbutlr <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:
> My account has a .active_sieve file. But it makes no mention of Junk.

It’s been a couple of weeks, and I am still seeing some messages in Junk mailboxes with hard links, though far fewer than I was seeing before and only with a single hard link (that is, showing in the ls -l with a ‘2’ instead of a 1).

There are few enough (under 100) that I am not especially concerned, but I still don’t understand why there are hard linked messages in Junk at all. There are no hard links in any Trash mailbox, for example.

There are a very few messages hard linked in user’s INBOXES (~/Maildir/cur/) but not the same number (a bit higher) than the messages with hard links in Junk. Dovecot is the LMTP, so it should have exlusive handling of where and how messages are saved.

Is this hard linking of a few messages normal and something I just don’t need to worry about?

In better news, it appears that the autoexpunge is working now with no changes in configuration (though everything else has changed including FreeBSD version and dovecot versions).