[Dovecot-news] Headsup on feature removal

Rob Sterenborg (Lists) lists at sterenborg.info
Thu Mar 19 12:03:14 EET 2020

On 18-03-2020 22:55, Noel Butler wrote:
> On 19/03/2020 03:56, JAVIER MIGUEL RODRIGUEZ wrote:
>
>> I fully agree with this:
>>
>>> Please consider holding off on removing features for the next major
>>> release, 2.4.0 instead.  It makes sense to retain, in as much as is
>>> possible, feature backwards compatibility across a major release.
>>

> I'm astonished that features are being removed in a dot release as well,
> no other major project does this, hell, most don't like adding new
> features in dot releases let alone stripping them out.
>
> None of the listed changes affect me that I can see, but I've been
> around a long time and I'm flabbergasted that someone actually approved
> this on dot release.
>
> Now although there is no real need for them to further upgrade to ensure
> business continuity, if a serious exploit is released in the wild they
> highly likely will get bitten. Stripping everything else at once in a
> new major is perfectly acceptable, and, is the norm.

I have to say that I also cannot understand why you're going to remove
features from a dot release. You can give the heads-up here, but it is
not common-practice and will very likely break a lot of setups.

It's understandable that you want to remove features that are hardly
used or maintained, but not in a dot release.

Please reconsider this removal, and remove those features as of the next
major release.

--
Kind regards,
Rob